What is Red Eyes?
Red eyes (also known as pinkeye or bloodshot eyes) is a common problem that occurs when the tiny blood vessels on the surface of the eyes expand and appear bloodshot. It is also a response to allergens like dust particles, animal dander and mold. This problem may be worse if you rub their eyes vigorously.
One or both eyes can be affected. In fact, most of us have, at some point in our lives, experienced this condition.
Common Causes of Red Eye:
Common causes of reddening of eyes can be:
- Allergic reaction
- Dry eyes
- Bacterial conjunctivitis
- Computer vision syndrome (CVS)
- Eye trauma
- Eye herpes or ulcerative keratitis
Symptoms of Red Eye:
The most common signs and symptoms of red eye include:
- Blurry vision
- Sensitivity to light
- Watery eyes.
If your red eye problem is associated with severe pain in the eye, light sensitivity, or other serious symptoms, it is critical that you get medical attention immediately.
Moreover, some easy-to-follow natural home remedies for red eyes can promote healing and provide symptom relief effectively.
Home Remedies for Red Eyes:
Here are the top home remedies for red eyes that you can apply at home to get rid of this problem as quick as possible.
1) Cold Compress:
Cold compress is one of the most effective ways to treat red eyes. For that you need to soak a soft towel in ice cold water and then put it over your eyes for 7 – 10 minutes. A cold compress can help reduce inflammation and alleviate pain fast and safely.
Apply this simple treatment 2 – 3 times a day to get the best results.
Cucumber is also one of the best home remedies for red eyes, as it helps decrease swelling and discomfort. Moreover, it is also useful in cleaning the dust particles, insect bite or mold and easing severe pain without taking medicine.
- Wash a cucumber thoroughly and then slice it into round shape.
- Store them in the coldest part of the refrigerator for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Place this slices over your eyes for 10 – 15 minutes.
Apply this simple home remedy 2 – 3 times a day until you notice a difference.
Apart from treating red eyes, cucumber is also a good home remedy for a black eye.
3) Cold Milk:
If you suffer from red eyes, cold milk is worth considering. For this treatment, you need to soak a cotton ball in milk and then gently wipe over eyes for several time.
To get the best results, make sure that you apply it twice a day for at least 5 days.
4) Rose Water:
Rose water is made from Damask rose which is native to Latin areas. Due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-infective activities, this herbal water is well known for curing eye conjunctivitis and other problems related to eye diseases and disorders.
In addition, it contains soothing and cooling effects which can help alleviate your symptoms while your eyes heal.
Wash your eyes with rosewater two times daily to get relief from red eyes naturally.
Many studies have suggested that regular intake of high-vitamin foods is very good for your eye health. Potato is an excellent source of vitamin A & E, which acts as antioxidants that treat and prevent spread of an eye infection. Also, the astringent properties present in it can provide instant relief from itching naturally without any side effects.
- Peel and cut a potato into thin slices.
- Store these slices in the refrigerator for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Place them over your eyes and wait for about 15 – 17 minutes
- Repeat this process twice everyday to get the best results.
For centuries, fenugreek has been used widely as a traditional medicine for various health problems, including red eyes. Packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, it is a one of the greatest way which can bring relief to irritated, painful or red eyes.
- Soak 2 or 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight in water
- Grind these fenugreek seeds to a powder
- Cover your eyes with a thin layer of this paste
- Let rest for about 10 – 15 minutes
- Rinsing it off with cold water.
- Use this process two times daily until you feel better
7) Green Tea:
Green tea is also considered one of the best home remedies for red eyes because of many different reasons. Packed with antioxidants, it is useful for getting rid of puffiness, swelling and discomfort contributing to itchy eyes.
- Boil 2 or 3 green tea bags in a glass of distilled water and then wait until it is cool.
- Wash your eyes with this green tea water 2 – 3 times a day until you notice a difference.
8) Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera contains antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties which can help to cure redness in the eye effectively and safely.
- Wash and scoop the aloe vera gel out from fresh aloe leaves by using a spoon
- Mix it with water and then wash your eyes with this solution.
- Use this simple treatment two times daily until the symptoms go away.