Disc Brakes Are Preferred Over Drum Brakes
Car owners should be made aware of the significance of the braking system as it is a matter critical to the safety of the passengers. In fact, brakes are the most important safety feature of any vehicle. These should, therefore, be well maintained and repaired or replaced immediately whenever there is a need. Car brakes are mainly classified as disc brakes and drum brakes. Disc brakes are considered better than drum brakes. Before delving deeper into the reasons, you need to understand the mechanisms for both these types.
Disc brakes, as the name implies, have a disc-shaped metal rotor which spins within a wheel. When the driver applies pressure to the brake pedal, a caliper squeezes the brake pad against the disc, which results in the car speed slowing down. Drum brakes, on the other hand, are a small round drum with a set of shoes inside it. It rotates alongside the wheel and when pressure is applied on the car pedal against the sides of the drum, the wheel speed is reduced. Now that both the types of brakes are explained, let us understand the reasons that disc brakes are preferred over drum brakes.
- Disk brakes have a high stopping power because they are bigger in size as compared to drum brakes.
- Another advantage is that they are able to dissipate heat faster as they are located on the exterior and come in direct contact with air. Drum brakes are on the inside of the wheel, which does not allow them to cool quickly.
- Drums are susceptible to overheating because of another reason. They have shoes which are connected to a spring that causes friction with the interior of the wheel. This results in overheating and also cause damage in the long run.
- Compared to drum brakes, disc brakes are low maintenance. All that needs to be done is sanding on the brake pads and the disc. Drums, on the other hand, require the entire wheel to be removed during the maintenance job.
- Not only is the maintenance of disc brakes cheaper, but its spare parts are also comparatively less expensive. The brake pads are reasonably priced and the costs are not very high even if there is the need for the disc, However, you may have to spend a lot if the drums get damage because they can also cause extensive harm to the inside of the wheel. This means that the cost of repair or replacement will be doubled.
- Finally, another reason that makes disc brakes better than drum brakes is that the former support ABS fitting while the latter is purely mechanical. This means that you can keep pace with the latest car technology if you take up the disc option.
To know more about car braking systems, you can access reputed automotive websites such as eliteautorepairtempe.com. Here, you can get insights and guidance from experts to ensure that your car stays in great shape for longer and gives safe rides to you and your family.