The goal for pet parents is to provide optimal care for their charges with the knowledge that everything we give them is nothing but safe and healthy. In treating the fur baby in our lives, a lot of people look for alternatives to pharmaceutical options in the natural, organic category. Dogs have an endocannabinoid system like a human, meaning they can benefit from compounds such as cannabis and cannabidiol in the same ways we do.
In saying that, a pup treating with medical marijuana, in theory, sounds like a good option. But is that a better choice than cannabidiol or CBD – or do they provide the same benefits? Learn the pros and cons of cannabidiol.
Medical Marijuana For Dogs
Marijuana is the common term denoting cannabis. Research has brought marijuana from the restriction of a recreational drug to where it now boasts medicinal properties due to its interaction with the endocannabinoid system. The ECS is present in all mammals, including dogs, and is responsible for the overall balance within the body. Because the chemicals in cannabis have the potential of activating the ECS, there are resulting in health advantages.
Medical marijuana uses a variety of up to 113 plant-based cannabinoids, for which there are different effects produced. Some properties that the compound boast include:
- Pain relief
- Anti-anxiolytic effect
- Muscle relaxant
- Intraocular pressure relief resulting from glaucoma
- Anticonvulsant effect
The possible benefits medical marijuana reap for dogs can increase their quality of life and potentially lengthen their lifespan, not to mention enhancing their comfort and making them happy. But is the compound safe for them? Does medical marijuana or CBD pose risks to pets?
Medical Marijuana Safety Concerning Dogs
Animals in general, including dogs, are very sensitive to the psychoactive element, THC, comprising cannabis. The symptoms a dog exhibits when consuming this component are quite disturbing, making use of the products tricky with a pup mainly due to the little research as to how dogs are affected and the few products available with this substance.
The Product Recommended For Dogs In The Cannabis Family
For pet parents who have an interest in using a cannabis-based product in care for their dog, cannabidiol or CBD is another compound from the cannabis plant that boasts of a variety of health benefits without the psychoactive element of THC making it safe for your pup. These derive from the hemp part of the plant as opposed to marijuana, which is a different species offering very low THC ratios.
The supplements, unlike cannabis items, are legal throughout the country, across Canada, and throughout the world. To know more about these products, visit https://www.holistapet.com/, to see how each is specially formulated for pet parents to employ in caring for their animals with a broad range of potential benefits.
- The compound boasts as promoting anti-inflammatory properties through the activation of the ECS, which can benefit puppies suffering from dysplasias, IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome, arthritis, gastritis, and so much more.
- Dogs often suffer from phobias, fears, and anxieties, particularly separation anxiety. But some dislike riding in the car, socialization especially with other pets, or storms like thunder striking. With its anti-anxiety property, CBD touts to aid in calming a dog suffering from nerves or who is anxious.
- Pups can experience epileptic seizures the same as people, which can be devastating for the pet parents, and it can be common among the species, with some breeds being more susceptible. Research exists proving CBD to have anticonvulsant properties. The Food And Drug Administration or FDA approved an alternative treatment of a CBD compound for a drug-resistant epileptic disorder, which is proving to be very useful for its human patients. Studies are underway for dogs suffering from this condition.
- The most common cause of death among dogs is cancer and having your dog receive this diagnosis is shocking because we frequently lose them. But there is new research boasting that CBD assists in preventing a variety of tumors from growing and spreading. Anecdotal studies show that a wide range of pet parents have seen great success in using the compound on their cancer-stricken dogs. It not only helps with the disease, but it touts to help relieve the pain associated and reduces effects experienced from chemo and radiation. The substance boasts to calm nausea and reduces the urge for vomiting as well.
Cannabidiol can be used as a regular supplement for your pet or on a medicinal basis. In either situation, it boasts of bringing advantages to your animal’s overall health and wellness as it does for people. It’s essential to consult with a veterinarian before initiating the supplement to prevent interaction with other drugs, keep from interfering with any medical conditions, and to dose properly. For pet parents, the most important thing is that our pets be safe. Cannabidiol touts this benefit.