Impress your dinner guests with this incredibly simple, yet absolutely delicious, homemade gnocchi recipe. Using potatoes and potato flour as the main ingredients it is completely gluten free and really scrummy!
- 5-6 large basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup potato flour
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Sugar
- Grated parmesan for serving (optional)
Preparing the gnocchi –
- Boil/ steam your potatoes until they are soft, then drain if necessary and mash them until they are completely smooth.
- Spread your mashed potato out over a chopping board and create a well in the centre and crack the egg here, before spreading the potato flour and half of the salt ( ½ tsp.) out evenly over the remaining mash.
- Use your hands to knead the mixture together, then form it into a loaf shape.
- Slice off a section of the ‘loaf’ of potato, and cover the rest with cling wrap until you need to use it (this is to prevent the mixture drying out). Cut the potato loaf slice into 4-6 evenly sized cubes and then use your hands to roll each cube into a ball, one at a time.
- Use the back of a fork and roll the potato ball lightly over it to give your gnocchi small ridges. Set aside on a plate and continue until all your gnocchi have been rolled.
- Boil a large saucepan with water and gently place the gnocchi in, without overcrowding them (you can do them in batches if you need to), allowing them to cook for 2-3 minutes before gently removing them.
Preparing the sauce:
- Heat olive oil and onion in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- When the onion starts to turn translucent, add the garlic and stir in for a further minute before adding the remaining salt, sugar, basil leaves and tin of tomatoes
- Turn the heat right down and continue to simmer the sauce for about 10 minutes (add a little water if needed).
Serve your gnocchi with some sauce and a sprinkle of grated parmesan, and enjoy!