Carbonara Cake Recipe
“This is a delightfully simple, luxurious, yet slightly trashy leftover meal that is sure to wow everyone. It gives you classic carbonara flavours, but with a crisp exterior to contrast with that creamy interior. Total comfort heaven. ”
Nutrition Per Serving:
- 300 g dried spaghetti
- 300 g dried spaghettiolive oil
- olive oil100 g leftover hard cheese , such as Parmesan, Cheddar, Gruyère
- 100 g leftover hard cheese , such as Parmesan, Cheddar, Gruyère3 large free-range eggs
- 3 large free-range eggs250 ml double cream
- 250 ml double cream250 g leftover cooked smoked higher-welfare ham
- 250 g leftover cooked smoked higher-welfare ham3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Cook the spaghetti in a pan of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions, then drain and leave to steam dry and cool in the colander. Meanwhile, rub the inside of a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin with oil, then finely grate a thin layer of cheese all over the base, shaking it up the sides.
Once the spaghetti is cool, transfer it to a large bowl, gently pulling it apart, then beat and add the eggs, along with the cream and a generous pinch of black pepper. Chop and add the ham, finely grate in the rest of your cheese, and pick, chop and add the rosemary leaves. Toss together well, then pack into the cake tin and place on a baking tray. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden, crisp and cooked through.
Leave the carbonara cake to sit for 3 minutes in the tin, then carefully and confidently run a knife around the rim and release it proudly on to a board. Serve with a fresh, zingy lemon-dressed salad on the side.